Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Spirit in the Sky

Today my cousin, her boyfriend and myself were coming home from running some errands and the classic oldie "Spirit in the Sky" came on and we all started rocking out because the song is awesome.  About halfway through my cousin chimed in, "so is this song supporting or mocking Christianity?"  I paused to think about it as I have mentioned in my other posts, I do not listen to music for lyrical meaning so I seldom pay attention to them.  At the beginning I was unsure but then it got to one specific line that made up my mind.  The line was "Never been a sinner, never sinned" which is very contradictory to Christian belief.  One of the most quoted lines from the bible is "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of god."  The idea that you have never been a sinner is directly contradictory.  When I got home I did a little looking around the internet to see if there was any sort of confirmation and there wasn't much.  The most I could find that could b e confirmedwas that the writer was Jewish.  Based on that, other music at the time and a few other things, my ultimate conclusion was that he was just trying to tap into a popular segment.  One side sees it as holy, the other as mocking, everybody is happy.  Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment