Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gay Men and Women in the Military

 Today I bring you the incredibly heart warming story of two young Naval Officers in love.  While I was aware of the famous VJ day photograph, I was not aware that this was a regular thing when a Naval ship pulls into port, that one soldier is given the honor for the first kiss that is.  Having discovered this, I think it is fantastic and a great celebratory way for our men and women to return home.  The big thing about this specific homecoming though, it was a woman chosen, a gay woman, not only was it the fact that it was a gay woman, thumbing her nose at DADT and it's supporters, it was 2 women, both of which are currently in the Navy.  That is what I find so fantastic about this.  Prior to the repeal, had they done this, both of them would have been discharged.  Now they can celebrate their love and their relationship that has been going on in secret for the past 2 years.  Here is the story, and yes I am posting the article from Glenn Beck's "The Blaze," but for a very specific reason.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/two-navy-women-share-traditional-first-kiss-upon-ships-return/

Do you see it?  It's horrifying.  It's the comment stream.  I did not do a count, but it looked like maybe in in 30 or so were people being positive about this.  The rest were talking about how America is ruined because of this, how the bible says it is evil.  One person actually said that they no longer support the troops because of the repeal of DADT.  These are the people who harangue anyone who disagrees with war as not supporting the troops.  I'm a pacifist, I have a deep moral objection to the existence of the military.  That does not translate to me not supporting the troops.  My Grandpa served in Guam, his son, my Dad's twin brother, served for years, for awhile in Germany.  My Dad and his twin actually enlisted instead of waiting for the draft to call their number.  The only reason my Dad didn't serve was because he failed his physical, he had a heart murmur, he now has a pacemaker and suffered 2 long years of regular seizures because his brain was not getting proper blood flow.  That is what kept him out.  I could name many more people I know who are or were serving, but I think its obvious I support the troops.  One of the great reasons this country is so prosperous is because of the G.I. Bill.  It propelled people through higher learning from their service. 

Serve your country, your country serves you.  Unless you're gay, then you can rot in hell, according to these nuts.



No comments:

Post a Comment